- Creating Smarter Lunchrooms Free Online Course
- Free Professional Development Videos
- In-Person Training
Interested in learning more about the Smarter Lunchrooms Movement and want to earn continuing education credits? This course is a great introduction to behavioral economic theory and application in under 2 hours! It offers 2 continuing education credits from the School Nutrition Association. Click here to begin.
Simple Tricks to Reduce Waste and Increase Veggie & Fruit Consumption in the Lunchroom
This webinar gives an introduction to the principles of behavioral economics and how they can be applied to the school lunchroom environment to nudge healthier food choices among students. Professor David Just, PhD of Cornell University's Smarter Lunchrooms Movement also also highlights low-cost, simple, research-based strategies for making healthier foods more convenient, visible, and appealing in school lunchrooms.
Involving Middle School Students in Smarter Lunchroom Design
Natalie Tauzin RD, MPH and Kai Swan discuss how student and staff input and engagement activities were used to promote fruits and vegetables in the school cafeteria though implementation of a Smarter Lunchrooms Makeover. They also share struggles, successes and lessons learned regarding the practical application of the Smarter Lunchroom concepts in a real-world setting.
Spokane Regional Health District (SRHD) in Washington State partnered with Spokane Public Schools, graduate students (University of Washington, University of Idaho and WSU) and Washington State University to conduct a Smarter Lunchroom make-over starting in January 2013. The pilot is scheduled to end in May 2014. The initial steps of the program included forming a stakeholder group, creating a work plan, and conducting a baseline assessment.
*** We are not currently scheduling any in-person trainings. Please check back with us in the summer if you are interested in scheduling a training. Thank you! ****
Certified Smarter Lunchrooms Technical Assistance Provider Training
- Are you working with schools to improve the environments and practices that influence healthy eating?
- Do you want to help schools implement evidence-based strategies that make the healthy choice the easy choice in school lunchrooms?
- Looking for a ready-to-go program to improve school nutrition environments?
If so, become a Certified Smarter Lunchrooms Technical Assistance Provider.
The Smarter Lunchroom Movement has championed the use of evidence-based, simple strategies to use in school lunchrooms to increase the amount of healthy food children select and consume, while increasing participation and reducing waste.
Leaders from Smarter Lunchrooms National Office are ready to train you and your program staff on how to incorporate behavioral economics in school cafeterias.
At a Smarter Lunchrooms Trainer Assistance Provider (TAPs) training, you will:
- Get grounded in the theories of food psychology and behavioral economics and how they relate to school lunchrooms.
- Understand the research behind Smarter Lunchroom strategies.
- Learn your role as a Smarter Lunchroom Trainer and Technical Assistance Provider.
- Get tips on how to engage schools, track progress, and keep the momentum going.
- Determine best methods for integrating research and data collection into a Smarter Lunchroom Makeover.
The target audience for TAPs training is: SNAP-Educators, Team Nutrition Grantees, State Agencies, Extension Professionals, and Public Health Professionals. As a Certified Smarter Lunchrooms TAP, you will be able to provide training and technical assistance to schools using all the Smarter Lunchroom tools and resources. A standard TAP training is 9-3pm on day 1 and includes a site visit to a school lunchroom on day 2.
The Smarter Lunchrooms National Office also provides training sessions for National, Regional, and State School Nutrition Association Conferences, regional events, or other larger gatherings.
If you are interested in hosting a regional training featuring experts from the Smarter Lunchrooms Movement National Office, use our contact form to start the conversation!